Join the City of Sydney Historical Association for a tour of one of Sydney’s earliest churches: St Philip’s Church, Sydney. The original church was built in June 1793 by order of the colony’s first chaplain, Reverend Richard Johnson, and using convict labour. The wattle and daub construction was later burnt down by convicts in 1798. The current church was designed by Edmund Blacket, built between 1848 and 1856, and contains a wealth of interesting historical objects from the First Fleet onwards.
The church is 300 meters from Wynyard Station and a ten minute walk from Circular Quay. Reasonable street parking is available on Saturdays.
When: Saturday 8 July 2017, meet at 10:50am for 11am.
Where: St Philip’s/Church Hill Anglican, 3 York Street, Sydney.
Image courtesy State Library of NSW.