What is the History Effect?
The History Effect is an online event series, created by the History Council of New South Wales in May 2020 in response to the cancellation of our face-to-face events due to COVID-19. It has continued since that time, with a number of events being staged online.
We aim to feature Historians speaking about contemporary issues and events, as well as research and professional development.
We invite you to book into our events which will be streamed live via our website in the first instance, then subsequently made available for download.
If you are a member or a member organisation and would like to suggest an event to us or ask us to feature your events in a similar manner, please contact us.
How The History Effect works
The History Council of NSW has curated a series of online History presentations, which will be run in tandem with our in-person events.
We record these presentations, with presenters in their own homes or offices, brought together via a Zoom meeting space, or similar. We ask the audience to book into these events, and we aim for an interactive experience, with the audience encouraged to ask questions.
- Please check out our Calendar of Events, accessed via our What’s On tab above.
- Careers in Histories: Writing Histories (9 November 2023). Available via our YouTube site and our Podcast page.
- Careers in First Nations Histories (July 2022)
- Careers in History – Digital Histories, Archives and Media (2 November 2021)
- Careers in History – Heritage, Archaeology and Museums (26 July 2021)
- Statue Wars: Protests, Public Histories and Problematic Plinths. So, where are we now? (12 July 2021)
- Captain Cook & the Frontier Wars (30 June 2020)
- Careers in History – a mini-series featuring Historians talking about their careers and the journeys that they took to realise their passions. Chaired by Dr Kiera Lindsey.
- Spanish Flu – a mini-series of Historians presenting histories of the Spanish Flu in Australia. (1 – 5 June 2020)
- The Uluru Statement from the Heart: why and how truth-telling about our history matters (26 May 2020)
Don’t want to miss out on upcoming recorded events? Subscribe to our YouTube channel to stay informed.
Looking for other events? Check out our Calendar via the What’s On tab above.