About the HCNSW’s Annual History Awards
Our awards and prizes foster excellence in Australian historical writing, showcase and reward best practices, and advance and promote public understanding and appreciation of history. For information about the HCNSW’s Annual History Awards, other than the Annual History Citation, please refer to the dropdown menu at the top of this screen.
Annual History Citation
Each year the History Council of NSW, via nominations from General Council members, awards the Annual History Citation to an eminent historian to honour a lifetime of service to history.
The Citation recognises individuals for outstanding research and scholarship and acknowledges their broader contribution through teaching, leadership, mentoring and community involvement.
- 2022 Rachel Perkins & Professor Henry Reynolds: in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the research, writing and filmmaking of Australian (Frontier) Wars history and for communicating history to broad audiences.
- 2021 Babette Smith, OAM: In recognition of her outstanding contribution to the study of Australian colonial and convict history.
- 2020 Professor Paul Ashton: In recognition of his outstanding contribution to the study of Australian history and the international practice of public history.
- 2019 Max Solling: In recognition of his outstanding contribution to the study and practice of urban social history.
- 2018 Lyndall Ryan: In recognition of her research and teaching in women’s and Indigenous history, and her service to the profession in contributing to the development of Australian Studies and Women’s Studies.
- 2017 David Carment: In recognition of his outstanding contributions to historical scholarship, and his generosity and unwavering commitment to supporting the history community, including mentoring its emerging professionals.
- 2016 Carol Liston: In recognition of her contributions to researching and teaching history and heritage, and her service to the community and local history organisations.
- 2015 Alan Atkinson: In recognition of his outstanding contributions as a historian to teaching, scholarship and the community.
- 2014 Shirley Fitzgerald: In recognition of her outstanding contributions as a historian to teaching, scholarship and the community.
- 2013 Ann Curthoys: In recognition of her outstanding contributions as a historian to teaching, scholarship and the community.
- 2012 Ros Pesman: In recognition of her outstanding contributions as a historian to teaching, scholarship and the community.
- 2011 Beverley Kingston: In recognition of her outstanding contributions as a historian to teaching, scholarship and the community.
- 2010 Kate Cameron: In recognition of her outstanding contribution to the teaching and learning of History.
- 2009 Bruce Pennay: In recognition of his contribution to history as a historian and practising heritage consultant, in particular his service to heritage and community history in regional New South Wales and Victoria.
- 2008 Baiba Berzins: In recognition of her significant contributions to the professional practice and interpretation of Australian history.
- 2007 Brian Fletcher: In recognition of his outstanding and lifelong contribution to the study and teaching of Australian history.
- 2006 Malcolm Sainty & Keith Johnson: For outstanding achievement and contribution to history and genealogy in Australia for over forty years.
- 2005 Bruce Mansfield: For his achievements as an outstanding teacher and scholar of history in Australia for over fifty years.
- 2004 Patricia Grimshaw: For her outstanding and lifelong contribution to the profession and practice of history.
- 2003 Terry Irving: For his contribution to the study of labour and political history in Australia.
- 2002 Clem Lloyd: For his role in fostering interdisciplinary approaches to Australian scholarship, and for his contribution to enhancing historical understandings of the Australian media, politics and public policy.
- 2001 Heather Radi: For her devotion to Australian history not only as a scholar but also as an organiser of ideas and events and a supporter of younger scholars.
- 2000 Bede Nairn: For his contribution to Australian Labour history.
- 1999 Gavin Souter: For his contribution to the writing of Australian history across a diverse range of subject matter.
- 1998 Faith Bandler: For her role in making and documenting the history of reconciliation, her contribution to the writing of indigenous history and enhancement of Australian historical understanding.
- 1997 Justice Rae Else Mitchell: For his encouragement of the practice of history in the community and his contribution to the vitality of history institutions.
Babette Smith, OAM – Winner of the 2021 Annual History Citation. Photo Credit: Trish Davies
Dr Kiera Lindsey awarding Professor Paul Ashton the Annual History Citation – Winner of the 2020 Annual History Citation. Photo credit: Catherine Shirley.
Mr Max Solling – Winner of the 2019 Annual History Citation. Photo credit: TWH Photography
Create NSW Funding & Support
The HCNSW is supported by an annual grant from Create NSW through the Arts & Cultural Development Program which enables it to manage the Awards & Prizes program, among other History Professional Development programs.
Information about funding and support available about this program can be accessed here.