Applications have currently been suspended due to a terrific number and field of applications. Please check this page again later in the year, or subscribe to our newsletter for updates.
Our Internship Program provides an opportunity for students enrolled in History or related disciplines at a tertiary level to gain experience in a History organisation. We are committed to providing vocational opportunities for students and/or young people to assist them in developing sustainable career paths and networks.
Whether as part of our History Week or Speaker Connect programs, interns will be able to develop their skills in a supportive environment whilst being a professional representative of the History Council of NSW.
Photo by Sam Hood,1929, courtesy State Library of NSW
For each program, interns will assist in the organisation, promotion and implementation of a specific event. While attending events, interns will be representatives of the History Council of NSW, and are therefore expected to act in a professional manner.
As an intern, your role would include:
• Assisting History Council staff in the organisation and promotion of your designated event, both online and in person.
• Photographing the event for the History Council website.
• Writing up a review/summation of the event to be published on the History Council blog and social media channels.
• Interviewing host organisations after the event to capture feedback for the development of future History Council programs.
When the program is open and accepting applications, all applications are to be made via an online form which will be displayed on this page. Please ensure that you read the Internship 2019 information sheet.
- All applicants must be studying history or related disciplines at a tertiary institution
- This program is competitive and not all applications will be successful
- Applications will be processed as soon as possible.
- Do I have to be a History Council of NSW member to apply for an internship?
No, applicants do not have to be members of the History Council of NSW. Find out more about our membership.
- Do I have to be a student to apply for an internship?
Yes, internships are only available to students currently studying History or a related discipline at a tertiary level in New South Wales. At this time, we are unable to accept applications from students enrolled at institutions outside NSW.
- What skills do I need?
PC literacy, fast typing, knowledge of a range of programs in MS Office or Google Docs, social media experience, good verbal and written communication skills, a collaborative & flexible nature (willing to work effectively in a small team).
- Is this a paid internship?
Internships are voluntary and unpaid. The History Council will cover the organisation and cost of any travel and/or accommodation required by the intern during the fulfillment of their duties. For example, interns will be financially supported to travel to their designated History Week and/or Speaker Connect event; be reimbursed related expenses such as for phone use (approval in advance needed).
- What will I gain from this experience?
We seek to provide workplace skills development for students and/or young people to aid them in pursuing sustainable career paths and networks in the history sector. While undertaking an internship, all interns will be professional representatives of the History Council. Interns will be supported and supervised in their duties by the History Council Executive Officer and Programs Officer, including an initiation meeting to clarify the project terms and develop a timetable of work and deliverables and provision of feedback at key stages and a reference letter at the end of the placement.
To find out more or ask additional questions, contact us at email@example.com.