History Week 2021
4 – 12 September 2021 | #HistoryWeek2021
The History Week theme for 2021 is currently being decided by our members.
Please click the link below to register your theme suggestions and enter into the competition to chose the History Week 2021 theme.
Entries close at 5 pm on Sunday, 31 January 2021.
For all inquiries about History Week 2021, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What is History Week?
History Week is the annual, state-wide celebration of History organised by the History Council of New South Wales.
What happens in History Week?
Members apply through the HCNSW to host History events relating to the annual theme. Previous events have included talks and lectures, ‘behind the scene tours’ and heritage trails, exhibitions and radio features, film festivals, open historic houses and gardens, book sales and launches. Overall, there will be close to 100 events being staged throughout NSW in History Week 2021.
In 2021, History Week will be launched on Friday 3 September at the NSW Premier’s History Awards, an event run in partnership with the State Library of NSW.
A further feature event of History Week is the Annual History Lecture planned for the night of 7 September 2021.
How can members be involved in History Week 2021?
You and your organisation can take advantage of the week and promote your organisation by hosting an event that you create, by hosting a History speaker through our Speaker Connect program and/or attending the NSW Premier’s History Awards at the State Library of NSW and the History Council’s Annual History Lecture. Your event will form part of the HCNSW’s media campaign and be promoted in the History Week 2021 Program Calendar on our website. If you record your event, we will also feature it on our YouTube channel.
Online solutions for events
There is no one type of mode that will suit all History Week events, but here are a few suggestions. They can be online or in-person, depending on your choice. We are happy to discuss options with you and provide information to help you achieve your goals if you contact us.
- In-person presentations or webinars of presentations via Zoom by or with local historians and/or those supplied to you through our Speaker Connect Program (1 hour suggested duration)
- Recordings of performers that can then be streamed from your website and/or ours
- In-person attendances or videos of exhibitions streamed from your website and/ours
- Webinar discussions with historians in a sister city anywhere else in the world
- Locally produced videos about Museums and their artifacts that tell local history
- Oral Histories, recorded and uploaded to your/our website, along with photographs
History Week events are open to public audiences. However, all organisations or individuals wishing to host a History Week event or take part in the History Week Speaker Connect program must be current members of the History Council of NSW. The History Council relies on the financial support of its members to deliver its annual programs. Apply to become a member here.
Registrations will open in May.
Further questions about History Week 2021?
More information is available through our frequently asked questions to the right, or contact us at email@example.com.
Do I have to be a History Council member to participate?
What makes a successful History Week event?
- relate to or incorporate the History Week theme
- select a running time most appropriate for the target audience (for example, many students, full-time workers and young people are unable to attend events scheduled during the day. We advise hosts to consider running an event outside of regular office hours to attract wider audiences)
- select a format most appropriate for the target audience (for example a lecture, exhibition, interactive experience, online/in-person, etc)
- are well and consistently promoted at least one month in advance and across a variety of channels, in addition to the History Council of NSW’s online channels
- have a clear, concise and engaging event description, along with an eye-catching and relevant feature image, which entices audiences to attend
- include clear instructions on how attendees can book or register for the event, whether this be through an online booking system, or via a contact email or phone number.
What is the History Week event registration process?
History Week event registrations will open in May. All registrations must be made via the online form which will be advertised on this site.
Do you have a media pack and guide?
We have made a media pack available for our host organisations to assist in publicity. Download our logo, publicity guide and media release template below. Theme-specific artwork will be added to this page once it is completed.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.