Earlier this month, a group of museums in the Wollongong region launched a fascinating new website, Wollongong Heritage and Stories. The website, which showcases significant local objects and stories, is the result of a 12 month project funded through Arts NSW as a Regional Museum Networking Grant, a devolved funding program administered by Museums & Galleries of NSW.
Museums collaborated to create the impressive website based around their rich collections. Contributors include:
- Australian Motorlife Museum
- Australia’s Industry World (Blue Scope Steel)
- Balgownie Heritage School Museum
- Black Diamond Heritage Centre (Bulli Railway Station)
- Breakwater Battery Military Museum (Port Kembla)
- Illawarra Museum
- The Mt Kembla Heritage Centre
- The Old Mine Surgery Museum (Helensburgh)
Several other heritage organisations are also linked to the website including the Illawarra Aboriginal Corporation Cultural Centre and Keeping Place, the Virtual Museum of Italian Immigration in the Illawarra, the Migration Heritage Project and Wollongong City Library Local Studies.
Great initiative. Look forward to visiting each of the museums when I become a permanent resident of the Illawarra next week.
Thanks Babette! Best of luck in your new surroundings 🙂