The State Library of NSW is calling for nominations for the 2018 Library Council Honours. The Honours of the Library Council of New South Wales were established in 2014 to recognise distinguished individuals who contribute to the cultural enrichment of Australia through excellence in the library, information and related fields.
Honours are awarded in the following categories:
- The Medal of the Library Council of New South Wales: The highest honour conferred by the Library Council which is awarded for achievement at the highest levels.
- The Dixson Medal: Named in celebration of one of the pre-eminent donors to the State Library, Sir William Dixson (1870–1952), this medal is awarded for distinguished achievement in a field of endeavour consistent with the ideals and objectives of the Library.
- The Ifould Medal: Named in celebration of William Herbert Ifould OBE (1877–1969), Principal Librarian of the Public Library of New South Wales 1912- 1942, this medal is awarded for distinguished achievement as a professional librarian, archivist or curator consistent with the ideals and objectives of the Library.
- Emeritus Curator: An honorary appointment conferred on a former member of State Library staff or an external person who has made eminent and sustained contributions to the development, preservation or interpretation of the collections of the State Library.
- Honorary Fellow: An honorary appointment conferred on a former member of State Library staff or an external person who has made exceptional and sustained contributions in support of the aims of the State Library and is expected to continue to make contributions of a high order.
Previous recipients include The Hon. Dame Marie Bashir AD CVO, Kerry Stokes AC, the late Michael Crouch AO, Kate Grenville AO and Dr John Bell OBE AO. As State Librarian Dr John Vallance says: “Libraries are more than ever at the very heart of our civil society, and it is in all our interests that the people who make them great are properly and publicly honoured”.
The Honours will be announced at the State Library of NSW on 4 December 2018. Recipients will be contacted in advance.
For more information contact:
Senior Project Officer, Awards, State Library of NSW
Phone: (02) 9273 1605 or (02) 9273 1582
Nominations close: 5pm, Friday 3 August 2018.