Image: Anna Gregory with the Veness Letter Book at Tamworth Powerstation Museum Courtesy of the Australian Memory of the World Program
Founded in December 2000, and conducted under the auspices of the Australian National Commission for UNESCO, the Australian Memory of the World Program is one of more than 60 Memory of the World programs worldwide. The Australian program aims to:
- develop the Australian Memory of the World Register
- propose nominations to the Memory of the World International Register
- promote the Program through publications and presentations
- encourage and seek government and private sector sponsorship for specific projects and activities
- participate in selected heritage activities and be an advocate for the documentary heritage sector.
The Australian Memory of the World Program operates within the regional framework of MOWCAP, the Memory of the World Committee for Asia/Pacific.
The UNESCO Australian Memory of the World Committee has announced the inclusion of eleven new inscriptions on the register.
The new inscriptions are:
- Annabella Boswell’s Papers 1826-1901, Port Macquarie Historical Society
- Anzac Day Commemoration Committee Minutes and Suggestions 1916-1922, State Library of Queensland
- 1828 Census, State Archives and Records Authority of New South Wales
- Manuscript Collection of Professor Frank Fenner AC FAA FRS, Australian Academy of Science, The Australian National University Archives, and University of Adelaide Archives
- Harriet and Helena Scott Australian Lepidoptera Collection, Australian Museum
- Ison’s World War I Cinema Slides, Tamworth Regional Film and Sound Archive and Tamworth Historical Society
- Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum Archive 1910-1986, Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum
- Migration Voices Oral Histories, National Library of Australia, State Library of NSW, State Library of South Australia, State Library of Western Australia, Migration Museum, South Australia
- Ethel Turner, Seven Little Australians manuscript, State Library of New South Wales
- The Great Strike (Centenary Reconstruction), National Film and Sound Archive
- Veness Letter Book, Tamworth Powerstation Museum
An inscription ceremony will be held in late February at the State Library of New South Wales on a date to be advised.
To find out more see here.