The Sydney Jewish Museum runs an education program for school students, university students, teachers and professionals. With over 30,000 participants in these programs annually, educators facilitate sessions focusing on Holocaust history, Human Rights and Jewish history and culture, showcasing the Museum’s collection.
The Education Department has 2 part-time positions (20-28 hours per week) for highly skilled museum educators to deliver and enhance current Museum education programs and to assist in developing new programs.
This position will also offer the unique opportunity of working with Holocaust survivors.
Salary: $70,000 – $85,000 pro rata, plus superannuation, depending on experience.
- Teaching the Museum’s Holocaust history and other programs as needed, including teaching of seminars, working with Holocaust survivors to share their testimony and helping to co-ordinate education on the Museum floor.
- With the guidance of the Head of Education, develop and coordinate projects which assess the quality of current education programs and improve their outcome.
- Liaise with teachers.
- Research, write and develop education programs with particular emphasis on the new national curriculum.
- Assist in planning and running of teacher training seminars.
- Assist in providing ongoing education to volunteer guides.
- Assist with other tasks in support of Museum education / operations as required.
- Contribute to new program development and the work being done to generate student visits.
- Experience in teaching primary, secondary and/or tertiary students
- Experience in teaching Holocaust history, Human Rights and/or Jewish History
- Knowledge of the relevant NSW Board of Studies History syllabi and the Australian curriculum
- Experience in designing, developing and delivering new education programs
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with staff and volunteers
- Excellent communication and computer skills
- The relevant tertiary qualifications
- Experience working in museum education is beneficial but not essential.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter addressing the selection criteria to Dr Rebecca Kummerfeld at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9360 7999.
Applications close on 14 November.