It’s been 30 years since the last 46 class locomotive was used at Valley Heights Depot. On Sunday 28 April hear from former Valley Heights railwaymen, climb into the cab of a electric loco 4601, enjoy a ride on a steam train and more.
The 105 year old Roundhouse at the Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum saw many changes over its life as a railway Depot for steam and electric engines. Trains traveling up the Blue Mountains were reliant on electric loco 4601 (from 1957 until 1989) to pull them up the steep mountain grades to Katoomba. The NSW Government Railways commissioned 40 of these 46 class locomotives, many of which found their home at Valley Heights.
The 30th anniversary of the very last loco movement from the Depot is being marked with some extra activities. The Museum is giving rare pride of place to one of its biggest exhibits: electric loco 4601 will be wheeled out of its usual resting place for all to enjoy in the light of day, while cab visits will enable visitors to experience the driver’s eye view from this 132 tonne giant. Carefully researched new interpretative panels will tell the story of this 46 class of locomotives, and will bring to life their successful track record. On delivery, they were the most powerful in Australia, designed to pull the heaviest coal trains. During the day, former Valley Heights railwaymen will chat about the life and times of the 46 class locos and their own experiences from the period as they reminisce about the ‘Good Old Days’.
As usual, there will be 20-minute steam train rides on the ‘Valley Heights Mixed’, led by 1899 loco ‘Stevo’ the tank engine, operated by the Steam Tram and Railway Preservation Society. All the Museum’s regular exhibits and activities will be available, including the two model rooms, audio-visual experiences, historical displays, café, shop and more.
Find out more here.
When: Saturday 28 April 2019, 10am – 4pm (last train rides at 3.30pm)
Where: 17b Tusculum Road, Valley Heights
Cost: $11 – $45 (purchase tickets at the event)
Image: 4610 prepares to depart Valley Heights on the 27th April 1989. Photo by Clive Keenan.